I'm kind of competitive.
I say kind of, because it really just comes and goes. Some days, I don't get too upset if I win or lose a game of ping pong or scrabble, but other days, I will flip out if I lose. Sometimes I even make up random challenges for myself. Kind of psychotic? Who knows.
Speaking of psychotic, I'm in a psychology class right now (last general to finish, holla!) and this morning I had to go participate in a 2 hour research study for credit in the class. I dragged my sorry little butt out of bed and walked to the lovely Taylor Building up the road, sniffling all the way with the cold that is slowly, but surely, coming on. (Who thought it was okay for it to snow in April, anyways?)
I couldn't have cared less about this study. Really.
I walked in, and after being sent to different parts of the building by misinformed secretaries, I went into a room with a researcher and filled out an hour-long questionnaire on a computer that made me over-analyze every aspect of myself and wonder if I was, in fact, more a terrible person than I ever thought.
Have you ever lied to someone? Uhh.. yes...
Have you ever done something you knew was wrong? ......Shoot. Yes.
Have you ever become so angry that you yelled? .... yup....
Have you ever done something that later filled you with guilt? Ok, ok! I AM A TERRIBLE PERSON, I get it!!
Then I watched a ten minute video of fish swimming around in the ocean. I think it was supposed to be relaxing, but I spent the entire time wondering if it was a trick and a shark was going to pop on screen and scare the heck out of me.
Then, the researcher explained that he was going to play audio of a string of numbers, and I had to add them in groups of two as it went along, adding the newest number to the number before it and so on. Its harder than it seems peeps.
2.. 5...(seven!)..3...(eight!). 4...(seven!).. 2...(six!)..9..(eleven!)..5..(fourteen!)...7... (twelve!)..
But all in my head. Each run through was going to get faster and faster, until I barely had time to speak in between numbers. Also, he was going to take my blood pressure after each trial, and he told me the study was to research stress and pressure to achieve or something like that.
Something clicked inside me (maybe it was the dayquil?), and I decided I was going to beast this freaking study and WIN it.
So, using my ten fingers and every cell of math ability in my brain, I pounced on every single math test, yelling out numbers and and frantically trying to remember the number that came before the one I just said. I messed up a lot, but I kept going, desperate to prove that I was a math genius.
Then, as he took my blood pressure, I tried to magically bring my blood pressure down through the powers of my mind and through deep breathing.
I just HAD to win the low-blood-pressure-high-math-ability challenge!
I felt like I did pretty well, and wondered when I would find out if I won or not. Then I walked out and realized: You cannot win a psychology study.
This is a fact.
But I still kind of want to practice that math thing and go try again to see if I do better.
Well, I better head to class. I hope I win the stepping on every leaf challenge as I walk. Don't get in my way fools.

4 comments:
i did study psychology for a while... I still do want to study about it... XD If you still like... got study materials hit me up :P
haha! I understand this. Too bad you couldn't win it though, the satisfaction would have been awesome. Your writing makes me laugh :)
psthatsme.blogspot.com
I so would do this too! If the guy measuring it wasn't in the room, I would take a nap, but I'm a natural show off. :)
I have to take general psych next year for an engineering major. Make sense to you?
Love this. You are too funny. You got the Nash family writing gene and the Nash family competitive gene! Sadly, I only have the later of the two.
I did kind of design my ring, I definitely picked it out. I LOVE it and I've become one of "those" girls who looks at her ring constantly. I hope you all will be at the wedding!!
Post a Comment