Sunday, May 13, 2012

I love my mom!

When I was eight, the other moms took their kids to the Wet'n'Wild water park all summer long to swim and eat ice cream all day. I had a mom who took us on "field trips." We went to the Ocean Spray cranberry factory, Lied Children's Museum, M&M World, plays, music concerts, and libraries. When the Olympic torch came through Las Vegas in 1996, she took us to watch the flame go by. She took us to our local post office and helped us all start a stamp collection (I still have it). And on top of it all, yes, she took us to go swimming and eat ice cream.


Today, I am grateful for a mom who was more focused on educating her children than entertaining her children.


When I was ten years old, I had a mom who wouldn't buy me tank tops--not even the kind with three-finger-width straps that were allowed at school--even though I asked pretty much every time we went to Target. She knew that I just wanted one so I could fit in with the "cool girls" and she believed that modesty was important even for ten year olds. I had a mom who wouldn't let me watch PG-13 movies until I was actually thirteen, which was very inconvenient at the time, because I was already working with a pretty low cool factor.

Today, I am thankful for a mom who didn't force rules on me, but who instilled values in me. I'm thankful that she taught me how to be guided by your own standards instead of following what everyone else is doing.


When I was fourteen, I had a mom who didn't teach me about makeup because she didn't even wear makeup (except for lipstick to church). One day, I smuggled some mascara and lip gloss into my mom's shopping cart and tried to learn how to use it. My mom sat back and watched me progress through years of fashion mistakes, curling-iron burns, and poorly applied makeup and loved me through every minute of it.

Today, I am grateful for a mom who doesn't fuss over my hair or tug on my clothes or pressure me to look a certain way. I'm thankful for a mom who knows that there are more important things than what a girl looks like.



When I was sixteen, I had a mom who did things her way. She wasn't afraid to have opinions and to be outspoken about them, even when she stood alone.... and even at the risk of embarrassing her children. ;)

Today, I am grateful for a mom who stands up for her beliefs and opinions and doesn't follow the crowd. I'm grateful for a mom who listens when I call her after class to say "All the other girls want to teach it this way, by I still like my way better!" and she tells me to trust my own instincts.



Throughout my life, I have watched my mother go to the rescue of others.  I have seen her take crying babies from distressed moms.  I have seen her comfort people who are in tears in a way so sincere and reassuring, I don't understand it.  I have seen her go after someone in need without waiting to see if someone else will do it. I have seen her sew baby blankets by the dozens and I have seen her share her hugs and loving words freely with others. Above all, I have seen her sharing her love of the Savior and her testimony of the gospel with others. 

Today, I am thankful for a mom who taught me to always be kind to others.  I'm thankful that she shows me how to love others by serving them.  I am grateful that she scolded me whenever I gossiped or said something mean about someone.  I am thankful that I was the recipient of many hugs and words of encouragement and love.


On this mother's day, I am grateful that I was raised by an extraordinary mother. There were times when I didn't appreciate the way my mom did things. As I grow up, I realize how grateful I am that my mom did things her way.  I think her way is the best!  I am blessed because of my beautiful, sassy, loving mother.  And I want to be more like her.

Love ya mommy! 



1 comment:

Sara said...

Your mom is a wonderful woman!