There is currently a rabid bat living above my front door. At least we think it has rabies. Maybe. We just say it does, because you can't be too careful.
It's been there since Wednesday, which means it's been chillin' there for 5 days now. We were pretty sure it was dead, but it's been moving around today, so it's probably just sick. With rabies.
We have been watching it carefully, and it keeps doing these freaky slo-mo bat push-ups where it curls its body up towards its wings and turns its head. Creeeeepy.
Oh yeah, and my sister is in town, staying with me. I picked her up at the airport this morning and was like, "Welcome to Utah! PS: there is a bat above my front door. It may have rabies." I felt like it was a warm welcome.
So far we have been handling the situation by running frantically in and out of the front door whenever necessary. Jess says the bat is probably too sick to do anything to hurt us; I strongly believe that it is just building up its strength to go on a psycho bat attack rampage and infect us with rabies.
Many members of our ward have offered their helping hands: this morning some boys tapped the area around the bat with a broom handle, someone offered to knock it into a garbage bag for us, and there was even mention of blow dart guns...
In any case, we have named it Stellaluna, after the beloved bat in the children's book.
Except in this case, I'm thinking of beginning a "Death to Stellaluna Campaign." Stay tuned!
PS: If I get rabies, I plan on organizing a Fun Run Race for the Cure, a la Michael Scott. Support the rabid. Check out this rabies PSA. Educate yourself.

5 comments:
I was hoping there'd be an Office reference :)
Obviously the bat knows where it's at. Good ol' 203. But seriously, you should call animal control.
bahahahaha. that's hilarious. last summer we had a bat sitting up in the corner by the door of my mom's apartment just like that. and it definitely freaked me out. so we finally just told management about it and they took care of it. haha. the fun run... love it.
This made ma LAUGH. Also. I at one point had the whole Fun Run Rabies Acronym memorized...once upon a wonderful time. Good luck with the bat. You could ask Dwight for tips on how to catch it - preferably with a garbage bag over top of someone's head.
and by ma...I mean me :)
Post a Comment