I don't know why people give me any credit for this blog. I swear, it writes itself most days.
Two days ago, I was coming from the bookstore on the third floor of the Wilkinson Center (BYU's student center) carrying a box of books I had just picked up.... Well, "carrying" sounds too graceful.. How about "grunting like a man under the weight of the TWENTY heavy books I had to buy for classes."
No lie, I'm positive there was grunting involved. It was a dang heavy box.
I hit the elevator button with my elbow, proud at how well I was managing.
Then Jake Heaps and his girlfriend walked over and it all went downhill.
Jake Heaps: BYU football hero.
THE Jake Heaps: Freshman quarterback extraordinaire.
Yes..... the Jake Heaps that broke every BYU freshman quarterback record, the Jake Heaps that threw game-winning football passes that brought BYU out of it's slump this football season.
I wanted to say something to him.
Something like, "Hey nice job throwing all those passes!" or maybe "You rock Jake Heaps!"
I found myself standing in an elevator with him. And his cute girlfriend. And my extremely heavy box. And I knew it would not go well.
"Umm.... can you hit three for me?"
"Uhh.... well we're actually on three," said the cute girlfriend. I have this problem way too often.
"Oh! Haha! Yeah I meant two! Haha. Ha. Ha. He...." said I.
"Ok," she said with a smile.
"Yeah, I always get confused!!" I said.
***awkward silence****
I could feel myself blushing as red as a tomato as I struggled under the weight of my unwieldy box. My arms were seriously trembling as I held the dang thing. So much for even bringing up my admiration for the football star standing in the elevator with me...
Then, Jake Heaps himself said with a friendly smile, "That's okay, I get confused too!"
I smiled at him. The elevator doors opened and I rushed out.
Jake Heaps: Football extraordinaire. BYU celebrity. But above all, kind citizen of the world, even with a flustered girl in an elevator who can never keep track of what floor she's on.
I am an even bigger Jake Heaps fan than before.
7 comments:
I'm sure Jake Heaps is seriously strong. Next time heave that box at him and say, "Hold this, football hero." :)
I'm with FreeFlying. Haha. A real gentleman wouldn't have left you to stand there and struggle with it. Maybe my southern gentlemen spoil me though. :)
I am so jealous. You are too cool for life.
We were only in the elevator together for 20 seconds and getting off at different floors, it wasn't really a situation where him carrying it for me would have worked. But he still was very nice!
what a great story :)
Don't worry. I was just kidding. I know that Jakey would have grabbed them if there was enough time.
Back to my blog... we are SO getting arrested. Maybe we can share a cell?
i stumbled upon this and i just wanted to tell you that you did not make a fool of yourself!! but fun to read your narration of the story, maybe jake and i will see you around again!
Post a Comment