Saturday, April 30, 2011

10 Things I Learned from Watching the Royal Wedding.

It was an event that sucked me in and before I knew it, I was obsessed: Royal Wedding 2011 Time! Though I watched it from a tape, the excitement of the day still took hold and I learned an abundance of knowledge through this experience:

1.
Totally cracked-out English hats are for real. And they are awesome.


In fact, I really want one, but I don't know a) where to get one or b) where the heck I would wear one if I had a cracked-out English hat. A girl like me just doesn't go anywhere that screams "English aristocracy" very often. I mean, I guess I could try wearing one on my next outing to Applebee's, but I just don't see that going well.

so pish posh!
2. Fairy-tales can happen in modern times.

A commoner marrying a prince and becoming a princess! The red carpet! The curtseying of the queen! A carriage ride through the streets after the wedding! Kissing on a balcony! You couldn't help but squeal. I mean, really. It was PRESH.

cue girlish squealing

3. Katie Couric is freakin' ORANGE.

This has no direct relation to the Royal Wedding, however, she did appear in one of the Royal Wedding Specials on Friday night, and it was very distracting. Katie: you need a loofah. STAT.

Hey-o!


4. My mom has good taste.

Once again, seemingly off-topic, but Kate Middleton totally copied my mom's wedding dress! Way to be a trendsetter, Mom.



Catherine on the left, Kathy on the right! In case you were confused.

5. Even Americans can get into British nationalism.

It's ironic isn't it? But I totally got chills when the Queen pulled up. As someone who knew next to nothing about the royals two days ago and has Wikipedia'd out the wazoo for hours on end, I hereby think the whole royal family thing is so interesting and was flipping out in front of the T.V. when each event unfolded!

6. Church of England marriage ceremonies are intense.

What with all the fancy hats and robes and staffs and hand symbols, and asking Kate and William to confess if there was a reason to not be married, it was serious business. The singing was cool, the little wrapping of cloth around their hands was interesting, but the sermons were BORING.

Dearest William, I do love you, but I am so bored and this man is heavily bearded....

7.
Kate Middleton, now the Duchess of Cambridge has nerves of steel.

Can you imagine living out your wedding day in front of the world?! I sure can't. But she was amazing. Can I be just like Kate Middleton please? Completely stunning, intelligent and dignified? A prince wouldn't hurt either.

8. Royals have just as much pressure on them to have babies as Mormons!

Right in the ceremony, one of the priests read a prayer asking the Lord to grant the couple children. Get ready Kate!

9. Prince William has a cute mischievous side.

Did y'all catch all the side glances he made at Kate during the ceremony? It was like he was trying not to bust out a huge smile. SO FREAKIN CUTE.... ughhh why did I just NOW realize how cute William is! SLASH the fact that he exists!

Not from the wedding. But it practically could have been.


10. THE FUTURE KING AND QUEEN OF ENGLAND ARE AWESOME.

Okay, okay, my fourteen year old self is busting out all over the place here, but William and Kate are pretty much the most adorb couple evahh!! Gashskgjkl. You could tell they were so in love, down to earth, and even funny. I admit, last week I didn't know which one was William and which was Harry, but now I am totally a fan and will be watching them throughout their lives! Woot! Holla!

CUTEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN UGHHHH!
I am going to cry myself to sleep and dream of their royal eternal love.


Did you watch the Royal Wedding? Live or taped? What was your favorite part, or what did you learn?

7 comments:

Kels said...

Oh I thought the whole thing was just MAGICAL!! I cried my self to sleep and dreamt of their royal eternal love and the whole nine yards! They are SO PRECIOUS! And those flower girls were angelic. and I want to get married....STAT! haha. Just maybe not in front of the whole world haha.

Sara said...

I watched it on youtube. I tried to pretend I didn't care, but then I realized I actually loved the whole thing and needed to see it. I loved her dress! My favorite part was when she arrived at the altar and William told her she looked beautiful. Also, I can't see your mom's picture :(

whit2ney said...

your intense enthusiam for the royal wedding is...oh how shall i say.... BRILLIANT, dawling!

Jessica Welch said...

I watched TLC for over 12 hours in one day.... It is really sad to admit but I was totally sucked in!!!! I want an English hat! I want to be married!!! Gaaahhhhh! I love it alllllllll! (can you feel my enthusiasm?)

Anonymous said...

Ah you are hilarious!!

But like you, I didn't get the big deal up until the wedding. I wasn't interested, and I barely even knew Harry and William were their names!

I woke up at 3 to watch and now I am OBSESSED! And I wish to find a prince asap.

I LOVED the little boys walking behind the maid of honors in their little military suits! And apparently when Kate was walking down the aisle, Harry turned around then whispered to William "wait till you see her". SO CUTE!

Amy Hunsaker said...

I also obsessed over this. My favorite moment-- little Grace (Will's 3-year-old god-daughter) standing on the balcony with a grumpy face and her hands over her ears! Precious!!!

Kirsi said...

It seriously was a fairy tale! A handsome Prince...a beautiful "commoner" swept off her feet......ahhhh! I have never watched so much CNN in my life in one week....and TLC sucked me in with their extra details! I set my alarm to 3:30 A.M....and it was worth it! The first moment when we saw her dress.....ahhhhhh!! The male British anchors and myself were freaking out.....she was so beautiful!! I agree on the ceremony, longer than expected, and I was wishing the Princess Pride marriage man would step in.....I loved Harry sneaking a peek at her walking down the aisle and then William's face when he first look at her...ahhh it killed me! They just needed a temple and it would have been the world's most perfect wedding ;)