Saturday, June 11, 2011

Domestic Goddess in Training.

I'm pretty sure yesterday was the most domestic day of my entire life. Nay, I am certain that yesterday was the most domestic day of my entire life. I went grocery shopping, I cooked, I cleaned, I scrapbooked, and I SEWED.

Yes, you read that right. I sewed. As in needles and bobbins, stitches and sewing machine kind of sewing. You see, I have this thing where I really like fashion (I can tell many of you are suddenly skeptical...) and I have been craving summer skirts.

Yes, craving, like you would crave a strawberry popsicle on a warm afternoon. Those light, cotton-y bright skirts are so summery and I want a ton of them, so I decided to commandeer my mom's sewing machine and her cupboards of fabric and make myself some skirts. I didn't need help, I didn't need advice. I know how to sew baby blankets and pajama pants. How hard could a skirt be? I found instructions entitled: the Twenty-Minute Skirt.

I think there should of been a disclaimer that said: the Twenty Minute Skirt***

***Unless your name is Amy and you fail at life, in which case plan on four hours.

I measured. I cut. I ironed. I pinned. I sewed. I sewed some more. I sewed some more. I tried on my skirt. It didn't fit. I ripped out hundreds of stitches. I sewed some more. I ripped out more stitches. I sewed again, and this time it even fit!! I wore it all around the house admiring my domesticity.

this is my skirt. it was sew hard to make. boom I went there!

Then as I was getting ready to leave the house wearing it, my dad said, "Uhh Amy.... I think there's a hole in your skirt...."

"Oh that's impossible Dad!" said I.

I looked. My stitches were falling out of the back seam, leaving a gaping hole.

So in conclusion, sewing is a fun, inexpensive way to have new clothes, except that if you wear something I sewed, there is a good chance you may suddenly find yourself naked in public.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Haha! That's too hilarious. Thanks for sharing!

Samantha from From the Outside Looking In said...

Thanks for your sweet comment on my post. It *almost* made me cry haha! I don't really know why, but thank you :). It was just that kinda night I guess!

I was glad to see you had posted haha, your posts always make me laugh (that sounds sorta creepy-totally don't mean it to!)

Sorry your skirt didn't turn out so well. Atleast you attempted! and atleast your Dad told you before you left the house!

DB said...

You'll get the hang of it! It took me a LOT of practice, but now I'm making myself skirts without patterns! The whole hole situation happens to the best of us.

marlee.patrice said...

Dang girl. You are my hero.