Saturday, September 3, 2011

A Story that Needs to Be Told.

Sorry for the lack of blogging this week. I just started the elementary ed program, and..... phew. Also, I didn't have internet in my new apartment for a week, and the internet company did everything in their power to keep it that way. But, after hours on the phone and a 30 minute drive to talk to someone in person, I prevailed. Boo ya, internet company, boo ya.

But great news! I am guest posting over at a fabulous blog called Stress Case today! It's kinda like a recap of some of my awkward moments. You should all check that out and leave a nice comment. (wink).

Back in this neck of the woods, I have a special treasure of a story for you. It's one that I've often told my friends, but never thought to write.... until NOW. (dun dun dunnnnn).

Have you ever heard the phrase "stranger than fiction"? Yeah. That's my life. I couldn't come up with this stuff.

Two years ago, my wonderful sister Jess and I decided to treat ourselves to manicures on a frosty Provo night, so we headed down to one of the local beauty schools for some shiny fresh nails on the chi-zeap.

oh yeah.

We sat down at their cute little nail stations and began the small talk with our beauty school students. It began well. It really did. We talked about school, the weather, the weather some more....

But then the polite conversation train, not only hit a few rough patches, but de-railed and then exploded into a fiery mass of devastation, not unlike that scene from Anastasia. (But unfortunately hottie Dmitri wasn't there to rescue me)

You should know something about me. I have half thumbnails. Don't freak out. Its okay, I promise. I was born with only half a nail on both of my thumbs. The other side of each nail bed is just skin. It doesn't hurt, it doesn't bother me, and no I'm not an alien. 'sssssallllgoood.

My cute little nail technician was mortified.

"Oh my gosh! Does it hurt??? (No) How did it happen?? (I was born with it) How do you cope?? (normal explanation to normal questions ensue.)"

Then she got pretty creative.

"Do you have phantom pains? Like when someone has to have their leg amputated, they can still feel tinglings where their leg used to be???"

Welp, I can't say I'd heard that one before. (PS, the answer was no... no phantom fingernail pains...)

And then I found out that she was a philosopher too.

"That SUCKS. But at least you were born with it, right?"

"I.... guess so?"

"So then you didn't have to wake up one morning and be all like, 'Gahhhh! I have half-fingernails! I'm so retarded!"

Thanks, beauty school student, for the insight. I would have been mad if I wasn't so focused on biting my lip from exploding from laughter.

It turned out, my cheap manicure kinda sucked. But I'd say it was definitely worth it, because the insights and memories I gained on that special night will live on forevahhh.

2 comments:

Lita said...

Haha this story never fails to crack me up :)

Hannah said...

Ah...too bad hottie Dmitri didn't save you from the awkward manicure. Life goes on despite your life being totally awful...oh wait, was that socially awkward/inappropriate? My bad. Good times.