The Silver State was made a part of the Union on October 31st, 1864, and so, growing up, Halloween always had another dimension. It was also Nevada Day! Yes, I grew up getting Halloween off school because of this lovely fact. :)
Nevada is where my heart will always reside. Growing up in Las Vegas made me who I am, and I think it is the best place to live in the world! I love the people of my home state: so down-to-earth and warm-hearted. I love the spirit of the West which inspires the people there. I firmly believe the desert, with its cactus and sagebrush, bright blue mountains and rocky dirt, is so much prettier than anywhere green.

Whenever I get the chance to drive home for a visit (I'm going home for the first time in 3 months in 22 days!), my heart begins to swell as the green trees fade from view, and the landscape slowly turns to desert. And when I come around that corner and see the Las Vegas Valley unfold into view, I feel like my heart is at peace.
Confession: I always sing the Nevada State song when I cross the border as I drive. It is also my favorite singing-in-the-shower song. It's just so darn catchy! Fellow Nevadan peeps know what I'm talking about. Here's a rendition by the Killers (also Nevada natives):
(disregard the large Harry Reid emblazoned upon the video... he already won. although the awkward hug at the end is priceless. and awkward. so awkward.)
I am truly a Nevada girl.
My ancestors founded several towns in Nevada when there was literally NOTHING. My grandmas on both sides grew up in tiny desert Nevada towns back before very many people lived there.
My grandparents on one side met and fell in love in Las Vegas during the 1940s when it was nothing but a dusty little western town with a few hotels and lots of desert. She was a journalist at the only radio station. He was a gunnery instructor stationed there during the war. They fell in love. He proposed. She said no. But don't worry, he tried again later... ;)
Las Vegas is also where my parents fell in love back when she was a school teacher and he had just moved there because

Thanks for indulging me in my love for my state. And maybe those of you from Nevada celebrated Nevada day with me! I, for one, hugged a cactus, petted a bighorn sheep, and played in some sagebrush for Nevada day.
Just kidding. I just sang the state song all day for everyone I saw. THEY LOVED IT. No one even made fun of me. (this is a lie)
It's just so darn catchy!
1 comment:
You can't beat a girl who has some state pride! Even though I am not from Nevada, I am glad to know someone who loves her state. Nevada is very lucky to have such a talented native blogger ;)
Post a Comment