First of all, thanks to all my friends for the support and love that poured in when I announced my plans to serve a mission!! It's something I kept somewhat to myself for a few months, so it's nice to share in the excitement with everyone.
Secondly, I realized that a lot of my friends may not know what a mission is, or why I am going.
I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. A lot of times, our church is known by the nickname "Mormons."
Women in the church can choose to serve an 18 month mission, which is an opportunity to devote all their time to teaching others about Jesus Christ and serving the people in an area of the world. Inspired church leaders decide where a missionary goes to serve. There are LDS (Latter-day Saint) missionaries serving all over the United States and in many parts of the world. I have missionary friends that are serving in South America, Europe, Asia and even Africa!
Missionaries devote their entire days to studying and teaching, as well as serving people and communities.
Even though a mission is a big undertaking-- and a big sacrifice-- I know that it is the right thing for me to do in my life right now. It is incredibly scary, but I have faith that my Heavenly Father will make me equal to every challenge. And I know that wherever I go, and whatever I experience, I will not regret my decision to serve a mission.
I have my whole life to do my own thing. Eighteen months of serving others is nothing in the bigger scheme of things!
Thanks again for your support. If you have any questions at all about missions or about what I believe, please do not hesitate to leave a comment or just check out mormon.org. There are missionaries who can even chat with you online through that website! Pretty darn cool.
This link will also take you to a page explaining missionary service.
My call is likely coming on Thursday! I will be sure to post where I am going! Ahhh. ah. jkfldajldasklsjklskslkwe.
Excuse me while I go stalk out the mailbox to practice for Thursday.
2 comments:
HOW EXCITING!! Congrats, I can't wait to see where you are going :)
I.Can't.Wait. :) i'm so excited for you amy!!
Post a Comment